Re: "MIDI looping" - Discrete Sequencing?

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 8:52 PM, mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com>
wrote:
> Didnt quite get your LFO use, but try this its what i call a "square wave
> lfo sequencer"
>
> First... Is it possible to synch LFOs in numerology? OK, get 4 LFOs, and
> synch them, then set then all to square wave and running a different
>speeds
> in relation to the BPM... send then thru a quantiser (if you can do that,
> think so from what you said) and to your synth... now alter the LEVELS of
> the square waves (not the speed, they should be set at divisions of the
> beat) for amazing "staircase" sequences...

Exciting hint! I'll try that one! :-) Yes, everything can be synced,
even LFOs. Numerology actually is a software recreation - and
improvement - of the Pre MIDI Era analogue modular sequencing systems.
I think that as well as using a square wave LFO you might just use a
sequencer module in Num. Since it is all plain data until you make
MIDI of it in order to drive a synth, anything can modulate
anything... it comes closer to mathematics or information architecture
- but in praxis it is just magic. You feel the textures that are too
complex to hear with your analytic mind, and with the MIDI buttons and
faders you can work those textures as you throw out gestures for
diretions. I use the little Faderfox Micromodul hand mixer to play the
sequencers, change step numbers, shift chords into arpeggiators etc
etc. I sold all my hardware synths, except for an Oberheim, and I'm
all happy with the synths in Logic and Mainstage today. They have a
global setting for microtonality and leave enough space for a latte
beside the laptop and faderfox in the sofa.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com