Re: Looping shoes

Footwear . . .

What I've been wearing for a number of years now for pedal-intensive
guitar performance has been those "surf sox" or "water socks" that you
can get at the sporting goods store for $15 or less (in some cases $10
and at certain times of the year).

They're made for folks who do water sports like wind-surfing, kayaking,
jet-skiing, etc, and need who a bit more grip than the bare human foot
can provide on a wet surface (and just a tiny bit of protection too).

The soles are very thin flexible rubber and the uppers are light-weight
stretchy material - a bit like wearing a low cut black sock that has a
thin version of a tennis shoe tread molded on the bottom.

They work well and will keep you from conducting electrical current if
you touch something electrically "hot" too.

The main joy is that they're cheap and you can feel the buttons very
precisely.

The only downside is that much street wear will ruin them in next to no
time at all.

Example, recently in Boise for B-CIMF I was asked to go to dinner after
my Saturday afternoon set and I forgot (or neglected) to change back
into my street shoes first.

Well, I nearly walked the soles right off my "looping shoes" when I got
back to the  venue I had to basically throw them away.

Also, they're great if you have big feet like me (size 15).

But, needless to say, they offer no arch support at all, which also
works against much street use.

I've found they work quite handily wear quite a while if worn only when
I need them.

Good luck,

Ted Killian