Re: Stacking Static Parts and 100% Feedback in live looping

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 4:55 AM, Rick Walker <looppool@cruzio.com> wrote:
> I see a lot of wonderful artists use variable feedback to create all
>kinds
> of interesting morphings in their live looping work
> (my brother,  Matthias Grob,  Andy Butler, Per Boysen, et. al.)

Just a minor correction, if I may: Feedback is a function I almost never
use!

I sometimes create several parallel loops and fade them in and out,
which may sound a bit like if using feedback on shorter loops. But
since my loops are very long I prefer plain old-school faders rather
than feedback in the looper.

As for the rest of the post I agree with Rick to timbre as being one
major inspiration. In my case though, not so much by switching
instruments to play - as Rick does so well - but rather by applying
*reverse engineered mixing* technique to live looping. That means I
tweak the sound design aspects before actually making the sound. That
way I can play the same instrument and instantly have it sound in many
ways that are pre-designed to work well as layers in an orchestration.

I do use "Secondary Feedback" though, but this is something only
Mobius offers so far (and in some way an EDP if putting a blind plug
in the rear jack and running it in "Replace Mode"). This sort of
feedback is only active during certain (user defined) modes. For
example, I have it set up to be active only during Substitute Mode. So
whenever I slice up a loop with Substitute I have a hand fader on the
side to decide how much of the old audio I want to replace - going all
the way from 100% (equaling Substitute on an EDP) to 0% (equaling
Overdub). I often use Substitute with Secondary Feedback similar to
how you mix fat disco or funk music; creating a fitting volume pocket
in time just about as deep as to fit in a slice of new sound without
blocking the older music and also not raising the summed output into
the red zone.

Per