Re: WAY OFF TOPIC: recommendations for great science fiction written in the last 10 years?

Ahh.. I HAD forgotton about Cryptonomicon or whatever he called it, ... I actually couldnt get 25 pages in. Im not in any way a Stevenson fan (more a PKDick fan) but Diamond age (and in a fun simplistic way Snow Crash) are both brilliant...

Warrens statement that he can't write a character, is um.... er...true, but well.. um.. er... sorry Warren... boring...
Its what people come up with when they just dont like a book, but can't say why.

To be honest, after years of wallowing in arty farty clever clogs books (Burroughs Joyce Poe ) I just cant be bothered with those long and tiresome descriptions of "real" characters.. (unless its Jane Austin) yawn.. does EVERY book have to spend 4 chapters building motives and describing backgrounds, and warming up... no.. what I want is
A) a great story, as in a beginning a middle and and a proper, old fashioned, clever, resolving, end. And...
B) a good idea. So many novels I read are long sprawling desciptions of seemier gritty real ... Im sick of it... Give me something unreal, new, original, creative and surprising. And get to the story on page one.

cheers

Mark

OH.. and a NON- SF recommendation: My fave book infact. A conspiracy of dunces.