Re: EDP and Logic Glitches

Hi,

Sorry for being dense, just a couple of clarifications!

  1. Say for example, on one of the EDPs, I need to record a 4 bar loop, and then reset that loop later, and then record an unrelated 2 bar loop. How do I alter the loop length if not by using the SUSrecord function? When I've experimented with quantizing, it appeared to me that I could only set a fixed loop length using the 8th/cycle parameter. This obviously wouldn't be sufficient for the use case i describe above. i.e. When in quantize mode i press record once to start recording the loop, i then press it again, but the stop is determined by the 8th/cycle parameter rather than my button press. My impression was that Sync=In, and Quantize was to be used when using a fixed length loop which you wished to develop and perform operations on. If that's not the case, I'd be very interested in how to very the loop lengths on the fly, so to speak.
  2. I assume the pre-delay option is only useful in the case of using the EDP quantize as otherwise it would cause the commands not to be sent out precisely on time.
I have a horrible feeling I've wasted a lot of time going about this the wrong way! Thanks so much for your patience.

Daniel

2009/5/31 Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com>
On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Daniel Hegarty
<danielphegarty@googlemail.com> wrote:
> So I'm effectively syncing purely by setting the SUS commands to precisely
> the right length. I'm now wondering if that's not the optimal solution,

Unforturnately not optiomal because MIDI is in fact very flaky
timing-wise, being a serial protocol. So even if MIDI events are
quantized in the sequencer they can never be sent at the same time
through a MIDI port.

> Would I
> need to change the 8th note count before recording each loop in order to get
> them to be the right length?

No, just use what gives enough "pre-timing".

> Another knowledge black spot, would changing the pre-delay have any effect
> on the timing of the looping actions? Perhaps causing the loops to trigger
> earlier than they should be?

Seems you have been missing the basic point in all this, which is that
the EDP has to run synchronized to the MIDI sequencer. I've heard
people doing that well with MIDI Clock and myself I have been doing it
a couple of time with beat pulse sync (recorded a pulse from the EDP
into Logic and then playing back that pulse into the EDP to make it
follow).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se