Re: Any experienced Ableton users able to give me a hand?

The AU spec allows plug-ins to know if they're processing 'silence'
and/or to tell subsequent plug-ins that their output is silent. Live
supports this fine, and this is the usual method for saving CPU on
plug-ins that aren't actually processing any input. However, it relies
on the plug-ins actually implementing this - I'm sure many ignore it
and just process the incoming audio regardless.

In my Live rig I have a number of effects set up and then automate
their on/off switch (top left of the Live unit for the plug-in). Seems
to work fine.
NB muting a chain in a rack is not the same as actually powering off
the plug-ins in that chain.

cheers,
os.

--