Re: OT: Eno about record business

I don't think the point is that the recorded medium is no longer a very
important artform--it is, and i believe Eno would agree.  I also agree
with Andy (as would Eno, i'm guessing) that it isn't superior to live
music.  Andy's point about Indian Classical is a great example.

I think the original point is that in the music *business*, the recordings
aren't nearly as potentially lucrative as they used to be.  More musicians
can sell their music than ever before, but almost all musicians can expect
to make less money on them than before (with a few glaring exceptions).
It's a supply and demand thing, and it's easier than ever to get lots of
recorded music for free or for cheap.

The music business--that is, the revenue generating aspect of what we
do--has seen a paradigm shift.  It may be considered bad news for
non-performing recording artists like me.  But as such, i'm forced into
being creative with making money on my music in new ways (at least new for
me).  One thing i've been doing lately is creating original music for
clients who provide guided meditation recordings for sale, for example.
There's an area where the recording will always outsell the live
performance.

I'm blown away that by the shift that artists are actually making money by
touring, especially in the United States.  Mick Karn once told me he never
broke even touring the U.S.--it was a necessary loss incurred in order to
market his records.

Peter