From: andy butler [mailto:akbutler@tiscali.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:48 AM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: OT: Eno about record business

james fowler wrote:

> i think the studio is a unique
> environment where you can slowly (or quickly, i guess) sculpt a record
> into something that could almost invariably never be replicated live.

yep...but

> on the record, you (the artist) are in complete control of what the
> listen is going to hear...they can only control the volume ; )  the
> subtlety, just to name one thing, is never going to come across live

I've been to plenty of gigs where the subtlety was 100% present.

I know what you mean tho', I think it's to do with the technology
of pa systems, and whether anyone actually cares what it sounds like.

Tomorrow I'm off to see a guy play indian classical music on a Rudra Vina,
probably un-amplified. I've heard him before and every nuance is audible.

On Sunday we're off to see Ornette Coleman at the Royal Festival Hall.
Last time I saw him play (with amplified electric band) it was simply
impossible to know what was really going on from the pa sound.
...so that's a bit of a gamble.

andy