Re: octave shifter for winds

To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: octave shifter for winds
From: andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 08:43:00 +0100
>G wrote:
>> Hi Sylvain
>> I've been playing chromatic and diatonic harmonica through my Micro POG
>> for maybe 18 months now.  I love it.  The latency is fractional and
>> opens up a world of effects the harp can sound good with.
>> I've been told it generates the sub octave and octave up tones, rather
>> than pitch shift the signal. Whatever it does, it's a smooth synth kind
>> of tone for harmonica and when you've got all three dials up and add
>> plenty of reverb, it sounds like a reed organ.  :)
> :-) that sounds like fun.
Harmonica doesn't really suit many effects compared to guitar or a
synthesiser. But using harp with the Micro POG turns it into a synth
like instrument - one of my favourite effects is stereo filter
sequencer.

>I thought the Micro Pog actually had quite noticeable latency just on
>the pitch up octave.
>I also didn't like the out of tuneness of the high octave, which
>I guess is designed for "12 guitar string" sound.
Ah!  Initially I noticed the latency, but after a year and a half when I
use high octave by itself, I find myself playing a little ahead of the
beat.
When I use the high octave by itself, it usually sounded best with some
modulation effects after it.  I didn't cotton on to it being slightly
out of tune - this explains my experience.

>It's essentially a harmoniser type algorithm with smaller
>time slices than usual, and really good pitch tracking.
I certainly like it more than the Boss OC2.

>> I was going to save up and buy a second Micro POG, and really glad I
>> didn't.  I'll be closely watching reviews on the EH POG2, it has all the
>> features that I was interested in the POG and HOG, but a fraction of the
>> size, a better stronger enclosure, and similar price to the SMMH.
>Ah...that sounds interesting
The POG2 has a detune control for both the high octaves - I hope that
when it's set to zero the high octaves are kept in tune.

>thanx
>andy
Cheers,
-- G.