Re: In praise of the Crossfade Loop Synth Effect!

Thank you for the note, Mark. But there's no marketing ambition on this project; in fact it is just me mocking up a new "instrument" - like checking out a new guitar tuning sort of. The point is the functionality and I got it working like the description today. Great fun! You need to know your sequencer patterns in order to achieve specific harmonization by choosing which note, from your simultaneous melody playing, to sample into the X-fade Loop Synth Effect.

I found a good routing today and now I'm about to delete the first Live 8 Looper routing because it wasn't optimal. Next stage after that will be to set up two more Ableton Looper plug-ins and make dummy MIDI clips with slow pitch falls and rises to slowly tune up the three loopers into chord triads (THX jingle style). I played quite a lot today with the Ableton Looper and it sounded good at 128 samples buffer with no audio artifacts. A fun thing in using Live as the looping host app is to slap lots of alternative dynamics over the loop outputs. Like for example an auto pan used as a tremolo followed by a triplet bouncing filter delay. That trick sounds better in Logic but maybe it will work ok in Live if using the OhmBoys delay (because it has already built-in filter resonance sweeps on the wet delay path). That's a really neat trick to get hihat-functionality sounds out of live loops. Like on the first sax loop in this piece:
http://www.perboysen.com/audio/BJWM2009_looping_medley.mp3

Per