Re: ubuntu based rig

michael noble wrote:
> I've tried ubuntustudio, 64studio, puredyne, studiotogo, angnula,
> Fedora/CCRMA. There are other promising distros emerging to tempt me (or
> meta-distros like Gentoo pro audio overlay) but I now use openSUSE as my
> primary studio platform. I have three machines running this way, each
> with multiple instances of sooperlooper as needed, along with various
> other applications. I'm a little snowed under at work at moment, but if
> I can offer any tips I'll be happy to. Weekends are always better.  And
> when I get around to updating my website I'll be putting more details of
> my setup up there.
>
> regards
>
> Michael N

Interesting news.
With 14+ years on Linux, I tried using it for audio long ago, and have
since occationally tried a few things, only to quickly retract again.
I fairly often dive into the soundonsound.com Linux forum to see what's
happening, and get the impression people are still having the well-known
issue that some audio application dies, sometime ending up as a zombi
process which can't easily be cleared (wait it out or reboot).
This app death often takes jack, the audio routing protocol, down, after
which jack doesn't restart as intended, but has to restarted from the
command line.

It's true that some VST things can be run through the wine or crossover
windows app emulators, but it's my impression it can be a hit and miss,
and require some time for editing profiles to make the integration work.

Alsa, the basic audio stuff is often said to require some setup, and is
reputed to have a slowish development. Other audio subsystems exists.

To be fair to Linux as an audio platform, I'm reverse biased and don't
follow it close enough, so take my comments with a grain of salt..

Some useful ressources:
http://www.linuxaudio.org/
http://www.linuxaudio.org/resources

For supported (semi)pro audio hardware, I used to check something akin
to linuxaudiodevices.something, but can't find or remember it anylonger.

--
rgds,
van Sinn