Re: PrePrepared vs. Improvisational Live Looping Performances

When working with my Aries synth, I'm quite comfortable with
improvised content.

However since the theremin is a gestural-controlled instrument, one
has difficulty to play in tune while manipulating foot pedals or other
controls.

I have felt that my most effective looped-theremin works have been the
composed works.  Since I play from memory, the listeners don't often
realize that the entire set is written-out.

I use vst control to control the loops' parameters -- once I begin a
composition I must maintain a constant tempo so that the loop
paramenters change at the correct time.

One of the advantages to composing is the ability to tighten-up
sections that are overly-repetitive and the ability to move from one
section to another quickly.  I can work out complex modulations and
harmonies that may be impractical to do in an improvised context.  My
vst automation gets very busy at times -- to do the same thing live
would require quite a few pairs of hands and feet all working in sync.

If a composition is challenging enough to play and tends to move,
inspire, and/or engage the listeners, then I never feel burnt out
about playing it.

*** begin rant
For example, I no longer book weddings because I'm sick of playing
cliched music that no one cares about -- I feel as if I am killing
brain cells by playing ditties such as the Pachelbel Canon.  (It is
really better in the original Klingon, however I digress...)  Thus, I
am quite sensitive the the notion that dull, uninteresting music is no
fun to play or to listen to whether it is composed or improvised.
*** end rant

The challenge, then, with composed music is to keep it interesting and
fresh.  This is as true when playing classical music as it is playing
looped music or anything else.  With great compositions one can return
to them and find new aspects, etc.

When I go into a situation where I must improvise, I always have more
ideas than I need.  That way, if something just doesn't "click" I can
move on.

In my (paid) work as an organist, my job demands that I improvise all
the time -- so the opportunity to play prepared compositions is really
a pleasure for me.  Sometimes I burn out on my own improvisation.  :)

-- Kevin