Re: PrePrepared vs. Improvisational

Zoe wrote:
'So Rick, don't worry about it! You'll still be yourself. You should do
both."

Thanks, Zoe,   I  honestly believe that really good musicians transcend
their genres and their approaches
ultimately..................so that there can be real freedom in
producing highly arranged pieces just as easily
as there can be horrific boredom resulting from free improvisational
pieces.

I honestly started this thread to just stir up some thought and get
people (including myself) to
really look at what they do and figure out what else can be added to the
mix.

I even winced when I put the word  'vs.'  in the thread because I
honestly believe that
the 'competition' between such approaches is a really bogus idea.

I kind of regret that I did add that word because I was just trying to
create a dialectic.

I've seen you do both things,  Zoe.   And you are a really good musician
whose aesthetic approach and musicianship
and 'ears' I really respect,   so I do believe that we can do both and
don't look at it quite as
simplistically as it may have sounded in my first opening salvo.