Re: OT: for our planned festival - distribution channels regarding "call for performers", legal advice regarding ancillary copyright

I would like to add to Rainer's excellent explanation that this is a
field that puts focus on differences between European legislation and
American copyright. These two are not the same; copyright is based on
a contract while many European countries have a fundamental
legislation to protect author's rights to their artistic work.

At this very moment the leading Swedish performance rights
organization, STIM, is working out ways to allow their members
differentiated licensing. Traditionally STIM has set up an exclusive
contract with members to represent their rights towards users of their
music (like public radio, films, warehouses etc). This has helped
composers a lot in the past but now in internet era some Scandinavian
composers (STIM members) have run into problems both relating to
Creative Commons and when collaborating directly with international
online music labels that runs a business model that relies on to the
American customs of copyright.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se