Re: Posted a new recording I'm happy with

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Rainer
Straschill<moinsound@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> http://bit.ly/dQcUh
>
> I remember how you told me that you sometimes missed your FireworX:
> right around 1:49, there's a very FireworX Preset 001-like sound - no
> wonder you're happy with it ;)

Well, I never listened much to the presets on the FireworX but before
selling it I analyzed the signal routing to learn how to set up sounds
in a laptop. I checked 1;49 and here's what it is (fore any one that
also likes this sort of sound and want to create it in-the-box):

Setting up an expression pedal to manipulate the pre looper effects at
the toe-up position while still using the pedal as a plain volume
pedal (to prevent PA sound leaking into overdubbing loops). In this
case the input signal is split into three parallel routes.

One flows directly to the free Apple AU Hipass filter and Multiband
Compressor that are the last plugins.

The second goes through a synced SoundToys Crystallizer (like the
Eventide HD-3000) set to all wet signal. Crystallizer is set to
slightly duck the harmonizer effect when audio is inputted (an input
envelop follow parameter built into the plug-in) so the huge sound
won't get in the way of your playing. Then it goes into a SoundToys
EchoBoy (analog tape delay sim) set to full feedback at the toe-up
expression pedal position, but since the fidelity degenerates in full
tape loop sim feedback the "sound cloud" you freeze in here slowly
changes timbre over time. Next stop on this line is the SoundToys
Tremolator (set to a phaser style tremolo on a certain triad-like
beat). The expression pedal continuously changes the Tremolator from
no effect at toe-down (also full mic input) to only effect/wet at
toe-up (mic input closed). Finally the Tremolator output goes into the
last AU Hipass filter and Multiband Compressor.

The third line goes through a synced OhmForce Ohmboyz (set up similar
to the preset with a delay in triplet feel going through an LFO driven
sync cutoff filter that also pans around). Then it merges with the
second line going into the Tremolator/Hipass/MBcompressor.

While signal line two (Crystallizer) gets "feedback looped" in
EchoBoy, signal line three gets "feedback looped" in Ohmboyz. EchoBoy
and Ohmboyz are looping at different lenghts, so you get a little
on-the-fly poly rhythm while doing the toe-up on the expression pedal.

All three signal paths meet in the final MB compressor which is
protected with a Hipass filter on the input.

In this patch I'm tapping out signal to feed Mobius looper  (set to
"all wet", "do not monitor input") between the final Hipass and MB
compressor. So both the live playing and the loops merge in the final
MB compressor to balance in the digital headroom ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com