Re: hardware vs software - this time from a blind man's view

I've got one of these.  I swear by it.  If you saw me in my studio,
all alone except for my cat, with this thing on and Reaktor 5's
Spacedrone instrument being controlled by it... you'd probably laugh
almost as hard as I eventually did.

However, as for direct and precise control of a DAW?  I wouldn't
recommend it.  Probably why it died at a game controller.  Too
squirrley. I've seen cool things done with a Wii Remote (call it a
Wiimote and Nintendo will FAIL your game up for cert) but again, high
on fun, low on precision.

I know the OP voiced concern about the tri color lights of the APC40
that depict the idle/play/record states of a clip in Live, but I
wonder if that would be something easy to disable.  Painted over?
Have someone good with electronics replace the lights with resistors?
I wonder if there's a type of diode that could vibrate slightly to
indicate it's state.  I'll ask my friend who designs electronic
devices if he knows of something.  I'm sure there's a solution.

The world is full of electromagnetic radiation that's out of the
visual range for people with site.  I'm surrounded by devices that
pour it out all over the place.  It's also full of things that use
lights as indicators.  It's the nature of our reality.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful or flip.  It's just that Ableton
and Akai spent a bunch of time making a dedicated controller for their
software and we're talking about using a P5 data glove instead?  It's
just silly.  Get the APC40, have the lights removed if they frighten
you and spent time having fun making music.