EDP+ EMI filter, noise

Hi there guys n gals,

its been a long time but i have been way doing lots of musical things,

amongst which  I hav had the tops off all three of my edps and changed the resistors on the old obenheim to match the other two.

i now have three echoplexes with the exact same specs and things seem to be going great...

theres just one thing.... HUMMMMMMMMMM

the oldest obenheim edp and white face gibson edp both work perfectly quietly no matter if they are grounded or not (im in the uk so a middle pin on a uk kettle cord goes to ground "earth")

the black loop 4 edp+ however emits a craqzy humm from the moment that the kettle cord is inserted which goes up in volume as soon as the unit is powered up.

i noticed that there are grounding traces on the pcb ....and the screws are painted...i have scratched away at the paint and made good contact to the ground spots on thr board..this has lowered the hum by i would say about 20% which also confirms to me that the issue is minimised if the flow can find a route to ground.

If i use a kettle cord i have modified by cutting the ground ...silence!!! the problem cures itself..but this is electrically unsafe aqnd i would rather not if i can get around it..there seems no reason to imagine it cant be cued seeing as the older two units are fine.

now opening the units and seeing them together confirms to me that the one thing that my blackface noisy unit has that the other two dont...is he EMI filter box which is attached directly to the power input, the other two have cord inputs that go traight into the circuit board.

could anyone confirm if taking out this new emi filter type and replacing it with a straight to board connection could cure my problem (or at least not damage my echoplex) I cant find out if anything else has been altered in the blackface componant list that would mean i might nuke something by ommitting this emi filter.)

any info

what it is, what does it do..whats with the buzz etc would be really appreciated.

thanks in advance

Phill MyOneManBand