Re: OT: What's on your iPod/CDplayer/Turntable

Wow this is a really neat thread that I don't recall has been put out there.  These days queued on iPod are...

1) Catherine Todd, a Windham Hillish but slightly darker and more interesting solo pianist who found  Chinapainting as a by chance and struck up correspondence with Daryl and I.  Over time I would up encouraging to record her music something that she initially wasn't confident in but in time she did in deed do that.  I've been listening to a series of pieces of her's from that recorded energy, http://www.last.fm/music/Catherine+Todd .

2) Our own Jeff Duke.  His Wait sessions released back in the spring.  Some wonderful tones, feelings and energy and a real fav of mine from this series plays on my southern roots.  Titled 'I Really Shouldn't Be Here' is a mixed audio media piece fusing an old secretly recored narrative of a somewhat minister/herion addict doing his spin on the book of Revelation.  Jeff took that and embellished with a lovely bed of Dukish tones. I really can't say enough good about this track, it so much reminds me of a time in Arkansas when I played with some pentecostal musicians, you might call them holy rollers, very carismatic folks full of emotion, faith, zeal, music of course and a tad crazy to most.  http://jeffduke.bandcamp.com/

3) Ralph Towner, what can I say.  Major influence to me as much as my earlier influence from the late Michael Hedges.  I seriously committed to the guitar late by most standards, mid 20's.  So did Ralph this has always been major encouraging to me.  This is his live ECM solo recording think it's just called Solo from late 70's or early 80's.  This one may be out of print I can't locate the link, I have the cd but tonight I can't locate it however I had ripped the trax sometime back.

4) My bud in Chinapainting, Daryl's most recent solo release Body of a Poet.  Great rhythmic, precise, emotional, slightly Los Loboish, slightly Gypsy Kings but all Daryl, solo acoustic and fat.  Fav's are Despertada por la Madrugada, Craquelure and Drink the Desert.  http://darylshawn.bandcamp.com .

5) another ECM fav, given to me by a guitar student of mine when he learned I had bought an oud.  This mix of solo oud and trio (oud, violin and percussion) is a killer.  The artist is Anouar Brahem and the record is Barzakh.  This one seems out of print as well but here's the link on Ecm about him http://www.ecmrecords.com/Catalogue/ECM/1900/1915.php?lvredir=712&catid=0&doctype=Catalogue&order=releasedate&we_search=%2BAnouar+%2BBrahem&rubchooser=901&mainrubchooser=9

6) A gentleman some of you know who live in the Bay area.  I discovered him as a fluke when I was there on weekend in 1992, this etheral ringing music from nearly a block away down by the Fisherman's Wharf.  Drew closer to see this guy hammering on what appeared a hammered dulcimer on acid on some kind of table make shift way of getting it round.  Enter Michael Masley, street musician of many years in SF and just amazes me.  Fast fwd 10 years, I was leaving the Anaheim Convention Center at NAMM and was walking through the trees and hear this same haunting music and I knew it was 'him'.  Got closer and there was Michael, this time we chatted, hung out a bit and have since been in touch thankfully.  Rick I highly recommend to get this guy to come to Loopfest though he doesn't use the technology perse he is just an amazing creative inventive artist and several on the list will echo this I think.  The tunes on my ipod are from his Cymbalom Solos CD http://www.artistgeneral.com/Cymbsolo.html

7) Steve Tibbetts, another ECM fav, he did a series of really great landscapish records in the 80's, this one is wonderful, Big Map Idea.  http://www.ecmrecords.com/Catalogue/ECM/1300/1380.php?cat=&we_start=0&lvredir=712&we_search=%2BTibbetts

8) From my fretless guitar community (http://www.unfretted.com) a guy I met last fall when I played at the NYC Fretless Guitar Festival, Neil Haverstack aka Stickman, great dude and doing some wonderful fretless creations, this CD Mysterious Female, http://microstick.net/

9) This one is for 'fun', Patti Smith Gung Ho.  All Patti maybe a bit more mellow less angry somewhat dark but 'lived'.  Fav track 'Lo and Beholden', http://www.amazon.com/Gung-Ho-Patti-Smith/dp/B00004RCYB

and not to be too self righteous but some of my own stuff, my Vertical release from the 2009 RPM month, the ReUse record I produced this past spring for CT-Collective and Chinapainting's studio CD Night Blooming Cereus, many good memories on this one but again not to be self serving here.  these are at http://jimgoodin.bandcamp.com should you be curious.

Man I love these kind of threads, love everyone's details about their thoughts on what they're spinning.  Good thread Rick.

Best

Jim