Re: automation or triggering functions

I find it difficult to answer because I don't know where the border is
between "automatic" and "manual"? For example if you use the overdub
function in toggle mode you will be in "automatic" once you pressed
the overdub button all the way until you press it a second time. I use
some actions that are as long as one cycle (up to two bars) but since
I know exactly what is going to happen when unleashing such a script
it is still "manual" to me.

One thing I don't use much in technology though, is random. But I try
to learn how to play randomly in order to use now and then.

An interesting thread you launched here, Raul!  For each person the
choice of approach relies quite a bit on what music is being
performed. I mostly improvise everything and this makes my approach
biased. I look for a balance between automatic and manual that lets
you improvise stuff that, on a good night, might sound composed to a
non musician listener. If there is a choice I tend to go for the
manual tweaks because it puts on more of a show - and makes performing
more fun. When using hand buttons for tech control that indeed
influences the music, because in order to free one hand to push a
button you have to either make room for a short silence in the music
or a not that can be played with just one hand and all that is totally
different depending on what instrument you happen to be playing.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com