Re: Help with Glitch/Stutter technique

At 12:27 PM +0200 8/27/09, Raul Bonell wrote:
>i think guitar rig comes with some components capable of this kind of
>lfo modulation.

When it comes to software, Ableton Live can do similar sorts of
things, right out of the box.  Just use (single or multiple) MIDI
Clips to automate the level of an input's volume/phase/whatever...

Adjust the rate to suit, but really, really fast is good for glitching.

Or, since we're already in the digital domain, you can just get one
of the various plugs that are purpose-designed for this very thing.
<*shrug*>

For hardware, Lightfoot Labs' Goatkeeper is really good for bizarre
tremolo patterns.  Of course, there's still the SL-20 Slicer too, and
Rainer is sure to point out what a fantastic piece of hardware the
Nord MicroModular is for any sort of S/H, AM or other modulation
effect like this.  The thing is, he's entirely correct on that point.

Hey Rick!  A good starting point for your glitch pedal might be to
gut a Boss FS-5U momentary switch and run that into the Mute input of
Bill's DT-7 Tuner.  I've done similar things with a single FS-5U, but
operated by my foot.  The good thing about it is that you can reverse
the polarity with a switch on the back.  So that one minute it's
passing the signal and cutting out only when you press the pedal, and
the next it's muting everything and only passing signal when you
press.

I keep meaning to try that with a Y-cable and two FS-5U's (or an
FS-6), to see if you can tap with both feet, BTW.  But I don't see
why you couldn't break one out of it's housing and use a contact
switch/pad to do the same thing with your fingers.  Personally, the
first real mod I'm thinking about, though, is to replace the polarity
dip switch on the back with an actual footswitch, so I can flip the
pedal's polarity without having to bend down.

Good luck with the new project!!!

        --m.
--
_____
"we're no longer sure where home is; homesickness is our only guide"