Re: Samples and looping

At 2:36 PM +0400 8/27/09, Louigi Verona wrote:

>I really do not enjoy a position of a semi-god who has to be asked
>every time someone makes a creative (or a non-creative) decision. In
>the faq section of the site I explicitly state this.

But you see: that is your choice, and you are absolutely free to make
it.  However, would you deny another person that same right to choose
how/where/when their music is used.  This is especially the case if
someone is using somebody else's work to make money.

My wife, for instance, is a photographer.  Unfortunately, she spends
an inordinate amount of time chasing down people who believe that
"just because it's on the Internet, it's free to steal".  It's one
thing when somebody snarfs someone else's photos (without permission)
to use on their own website or blog -- that's merely rude.  But there
are actual commercial publications and/or agencies who have taken
other people's work and make money off of them.

That's one reason why I really like the Creative Commons idea.
Because it allows the creator to set the desired access level from
"free for all to take and use" to "don't you dare touch this under
any circumstances".

The point is, IMNSHO, that this should be the choice of the original
creator, not someone who merely discovers the work at a later time.

        --m.
--
_____
"when you think your dreams are shattered, it's time to dream new dreams"