Re: Samples and looping

Howdy Miko!

You are of course correct - in real life the economical issue IS
present. However, in all discussions about copyright and licenses
I believe that its role is over emphasized. Really, making a living is
usually not a problem. I have a friend who does music for a living.
When he doesn't get a lot of booking (he plays gigs) or when he doesn't
get a lot of orders (he also writes music for games) - he gives occasional
English lessons. He is very far from starving - he lives fine and does
what he loves without imposing over-restrictive licenses over the public.

"So unless it's a hobby and
you provide food and shelter with another vocation, the system is
unbalanced and will have a very short life span."

Wanted to comment on this to a bit. You are correct if we are speaking
about a hobby. But also keep in mind that there is such thing as talent,
a gift that is more than a hobby - when art is part of a person's life and
moves that person to a point that it is not possible for this person to not
compose or not write or not paint. In such case it is much more than a hobby.
And perhaps in this case the economical issue is also not too vividly present.

Some time ago in this discussion someone mentioned this article:
http://tucowsinc.com/news/2009/08/copyrights-creative-disincentive/

It is a very nice one. I really like how they put the economical issue in the
right perspective, gave it a right priority. They have a nice word for it - enabler.

Louigi.