Re: Why Amanda Palmer is Not Afraid to Take Your Money

If everyone embraced "open source" as an economic reality, maybe
giving your time, ideas and efforts away would be groovy and reap
rewards for everyone. But that's NOT THE CASE. Trying to apply "open
source" principals to the arts is the death knell of any notion of
making a living as an artist.

Frankly, the Cali economy as well as the nation's is a result of
people saying "whatever" when faced with challenges and details
regarding money.  The Arts? Better to help the public understand NOW
whether it is vital, has value, and might be worthy of structured
economic principles, or it's going to die just like education,
healthcare etc.

Artists of all walks should be compensated for their work and
intellectual property—Just like inventors, writers, photographers etc.
(Not that these trades aren't "art", but they seem to have more firmly
established money structures).

Keep saying "whatever" and someday your sustenance will disappear. And
THEN you will have to come up with the same detailed "structure" so
you can receive "payment" for your ideas, time and efforts. Best to
just DO IT NOW.

Or . . . stay high, party on and figure it out later.  WHATEVER.