Re: "art" & money, was: amanda palmer

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Loaf citious <loafcitious@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had a college prof tell me once (this was some time ago..)
> that records really don't make money for an artist or the label
> that puts out the record unless it goes gold or platinum.

That's correct. The stat's were that most record labels lost money on
eight artist signings while the ninth went sky rocket with an album
and brought dough to cover for the unlucky eight. Over the last decade
those margins are lost and today every new project needs to be
economically successful.

> Perhaps the best thing to do would be to just set up my album
> for sale and then pull some crazy YouTube thing or some other
> outrageous marketing stunt to feed the traffic.

That seems to be a good strategy. However, the market might be smaller
now if measured in how much money one can make on selling recordings
of music, but if measuring by what people are listening to and
appreciating the market is much wider today; much more segmented too.
Smaller quantities sold within each segment but many more segments for
exclusive music to find a buyer. This may be good or bad for you
depending on the type of music you offer.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com