Y2K9

Sorry for the delay. Y2K9 was really great this year, the music was fantastic, for me it was the best yet, on many levels, not the least of which was that I stayed relaxed and I didn’t take on too many responsibilities for the festival.  Also, I practiced what I had been preaching to any one who solicited my advice, and perhaps some that didn’t. I simplified my rig and limited my choices. I didn’t switch instruments every tune and I didn’t bring a second looper which for me means a second pedal board. I also played only lap steel and mostly acoustic lap steel, save for the one electric lap  piece at the end that Kalimba Man joined me on. Not bringing a standard electric or acoustic guitar  is like leaving a security blanket at home, but I’m glad I simplified, as I was able to relax in to playing the one instrument and not having to worry about changing guitars.  I had one major technical snafu, that being a weird feedback loop that built up into a wild roar on my Looperlative, that I had no choice but to reboot the LP-1, but it actually sounded kind of cool. Maybe that was the roaring reverb tha warren was metioningJ

What makes the event the most meaningful for me is meeting and hanging out with friends both old and new.  It takes me a while to recover from this event because I go through a period of missing everyone who was just here, and the stimulation and creative synergy that ensues. I would imagine it’s a bit like a movie set where people convene from all corners of the globe, bond, work together toward a common creative goal, and then just as quickly scatter to the wind. So thanks everyone who was involved who came and played and /or helped out, I’m not even going to begin to acknowledge you individually for fear of missing someone so pardon my cop out. One person who I neglected to thank though after he so eloquently introduced me before my set  is Rick, because without his energy, will power and creativity we wouldn’t even be having this discussion. I can’t wait till next year.

Bill