Re: What public is attracted by a Y2K Sampler Video?

Sjaak Overgaauw wrote:
> Hi Andy,
> It's always good to know what other people think and what their own
> experience is.
;-)

> Andy butler wrote:
>> ;-) imo, more often than not people buy a ticket because they think
>> lot's of other people are buying a ticket.
>
> Never thought about it like that.

If you listen to people's comments about events they've been
to, attendance level is one of their prior concerns.

> I think I have said to Rainer in the
> past that it would be fantastic but very difficult if we could ever
> reach the milestone of 100 paying visitors for a loopfest in it's
> current format.

One other factor would be to use a venue that commonly attracts crowds.

> Definitely, same here. Song type structures are more accessible than
> soundscape or experimental stuff. Both Luis and Akim got very good
> response of the audience.

I also keep in mind that audience "response" doesn't necessarily
equate to audience appreciation.
Often it's the quiet ones who buy a cd.
Just because no-one whoops it up at the end of an ambient piece......

> Wow, Fripp in your hometown? :) I was in the US when he was touring
> with Porcupine Tree last October.

Coincidentally I was a support to Stephen Wilson (Noman 'reunion' gig)that
very night, he thought I sounded like Fripp...but don't
know if that was a compliment ;-)

>> If you really wanted him to play, then why not simply invite
>> him? ...only costs you an email.
>
> Why not? Always look on the bright site of life isn't it? It's worth
> trying and it would be fantastic if someone of his level would attend
> a loopfest.
> ---

Indeed, I very much enjoyed his Norwich Cathedral set, however
I don't think he's a good promoter of live looping to the general public,
nobody likes his synth sounds, he *only* does ambient washes,
and he doesn't bring a big crowd.

I'm at a loss to suggest a high profile live looper though,
maybe Eberhard Weber(who would get audience) or Theo Travis.

andy