Sent: Thursday, January 07, 2010 10:16 PM
Subject: Re: Metheny - The Orchestrion Tour

this video came out today:

it shows pretty much what you say: control physical instruments by MIDI, probably partly the guitar and mostly a sequencer.
I dont see it much related to looping
and I dont quite understand the point:
it must be great to be in the Orchestrion and hear it all directly, but it still will not be better than a band (except that the robots may play quicker and more exactly than players)
for the concert, he probably will have to amplify it all as usual so it will sound a little more alive than from a sampler (since each trigger is a real new note and not the same sample repeated), but also maintains all the problems of transport, space, amplification, mixing... just saving the musicians really...