Re: mac vst builder(Synthedit) thingy??

At 1:53 AM +0100 1/23/10, mark francombe wrote:

>But just on the offchance that you are right and know of such a beast...
>I would need a 2 x 16 step sequncers with quantised steps, (Or what
>I call a square wave sequencer where 4 synced squarewaves ) can
>modulate ring modulation, low pas filter (with nice and dirty Q) ran
>position and volume (so its a 4 channel sequencer really)...

Mark,

If I may make an educated guess, it sounds as if you're trying to
duplicate in software the functionality of your Roland EF-303 unit.
Apologies if that supposition is wrong, of course, but as another
similarly-impressed (why wasn't this unit more popular?) EF-303 user,
I've been trying to do the same.  So let me share with you what I've
found so far.

Instead of trying to find an "all-in-one" effect which contains both
the control channel (the step sequencer) and the audio effect
integrated together, I thought it might be more useful to find a
control unit plug-in that could then transmit MIDI CC via the IAC Bus
to any other effect I might choose.  For this purpose, I've come
across these products:

Sugar Bytes Thesys (
http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/products/Thesys/index.php?lang=en
).  This is a suite of stepped gating effects that can be triggered
externally in a variety of ways.  The Modulation track can also send
out MIDI CC to any other effect.

AraldFX StormGate3 ( http://www.araldfx.com ).  Gate effector which
can be used to send CC's to external effects.  Also, this one has a
twist in that it's normal gate function is split into three different
frequency ranges via crossovers; each range can be gated
independently.  Since a lot of what I was doing with the EF-303 was
using it to give static drones rhythmic content, I use this one quite
a bit without even having to sub out to MIDI CC.

Plogue Bidule ( http://www.plogue.com/?page_id=56 ).  Yes, as has
been stated before, you can definitely "build your own" exactly to
specification via Bidule.  I didn't start down this route because I
could find my needs met by other commercial plugs, but YMMV.

Five12 Systems Numerology ( http://www.five12.com/ ).  This is the
Godzilla of step-sequencing programs.  I can almost guarantee that
you can find some way of emulating what you need here (hell, I start
to get confused when merely contemplating step-sequencers controlling
step-sequencers, so I only ever scratched the surface of it).  Can
also host other AU plug-ins itself, so there's a possibility that you
may be able to use it as your plug host as well.

Hope that helps, and good luck!  :)

        --m.
--
_____
"take one step outside yourself. the whole path lasts no longer than