Re: Brian Eno about recorded music

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 3:16 PM, mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com>
wrote:
> I have changed my opinion on this issue 3 times thoughout the
> course of this one thread, going from Grr I hate mp3, bring back
>vinyl... to
> ahh well yes.. the trees... the carbon... and back to... well thats a
>good
> point too..

Most of us love the big format of the vinyl cover but an important
point, that I think many are missing, is the big changes in the
culture and market. A lot more music is available to music lovers
today, compared to a couple of decades back - not just bad copy-cat
music that sucks but also really good music with a true unique
expression. It's simply not possible today for a music lover to
consume "all the best" via a mechanical/physical medium. For "hoggish
listening" the streaming or downloadable format is just perfect MHO.
I'm not talking bad sounding mp3 compression or lossless formats or at
least sonically well compressed.

Please don't misunderstand me - I'm not recommending "hoggish
listening" only. To me art makes sens both on the closely
contemplative close up focus level as on the general skip-player
overview level.

> Apple bring out the
> iPad... Christ... what nonsense... more trendy connectivity for the bus
>ride
> to work...

Some folks welcome it as a super cheap "Lemur". By
OSC/Bluetooth-whatever networked control surface for electronic music
live performance. Someone just have to hack together a great mixer
application for it. When thinking about that it totally makes sense
having an iPad as the touch-screen mixer/controller and another box
handling the DSP the traditional way. (not for me though, since I need
both hands on physical instruments. More then ever with the Stick I've
found out. So I'm stuck with the dreadful Behringer FCBs it seems....
)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se