Re: recording in 32 bit - interface and plugins

Hi Rune,

Don't confuse the digital audio format like 8, 16 (CD standard), 24 and 32 bit with software that can be coded to run under a 32 vs 64 bit operating system.

Can't check now, but if it's true like you are saying that the user can chose if Ableton Live should use 32 bit floating point for internal calculation, then you should definitely go for it. Logic/Mainstage and Mobius all use 32 bit floating point calculation. It is INTERNAL and doesn't affect how the DA processing of your audio interface works (except for maybe delivering a sometimes better sounding stream to be "analogized" for the speaker output).

Now, if the computer's operating system supports it some applications can be run by 64 bit software code. Very few third-party plugins still support 64 bit mode and as far as I know only Vista/MS7 and the latest Mac OS (Snow Leopard) support 64 bit code. I tried running Logic and Mainstage in 64 bit code and there is absolutely no difference to me (all Logic/Mainstage "plugins" are 64 bit since they are part of the application rather than "plugins" and Apple has a 32 bit bridge that allows running 32 bit third-party plugins inside the host at 64 bit). However, for people that need to use a lot of RAM the performance of the system is much better at 64. The magic limit is 4 GB RAM and my Macbook can't physically take more than 4 GB, so for me this hole 64 bit code option is moot. But let's assume you have a machine loaded with 12 GB RAM and you want to play with sampler patches that are huuuuu-u-u-u-ge, then 64 bit code mode is your savior.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com