Re: Reaper instead of Bidule/Mainstage?

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Buzap Buzap <buzap@gmx.net> wrote:
> I'm looking for a Windows alternative to Mainstage (for looping with
>Mobius).
>
> Recently, I've found the DAW Reaper (http://reaper.fm) pretty
>impressive.  I wonder if this would also be a flexible audio routing
>tool for live performances (custom actions assigned to midi controllers)?

Yes, I'm wondering about that too. Do you have a change to check out
Reaper and report here?

Generally DAW applications are not as good a host application choice
for live looping plug-ins as dedicated performance applications are. A
DAW typically allocates a lot of recourses for latency compensation
and sync regarding playback of recorded files, something that is
totally moot for live looping performance (where stability and user
customization are more important).

As a good live looping performance host application for Windows I can
merrily recommend Bidule! I used it for many years together with
Mobius and today I still use the same Bidule session on OS X that I
built on XP in 2005. When Mainstage was released for Mac I found it to
be almost a replica of my Windows XP looping plug-in host session!
IMHO Bidule still does patch shifting with reverb tail preservation
better than Mainstage 2. The point with Bidule is that it is module
based, meaning you can fix stuff that you want to work differently.
That degree of user customization is not even on the horizon for big
players like Apple, that rather bring a plug-n-play philosophy.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com