Re: the death of the loop

> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Nadia Salom <nadia.salom@gmx.de>
> wrote:
>> How does one go about killing a loop?
>
> Fora a change, try changing the loop's audio content while it is
> playing. Use a continuous pedal assigned to feedback for soft changes
> and slicing to violently replace chunks of audio in the loop.
>
> If you want to write songs, learn to write songs. Looping is
> different. But in a quite beautiful way; looping doesn't demand *a
> start* and *an ending*. It's more like the original idea of ambient
> music; it is going on forever and you simply tune in or tune out of
> the flow.
>
> I agree with you that when picking up an ambition to "write songs" out
> of true live looping sessions a lot of the magic is lost. But thinking
> closer about "composing", isn't it in fact a lame-ish workaround to
> synthesize the true inspiration of a good improvisation? A way to
> experience an adventure without exposing yourself to the risks. A
> trick to repeat a blissful moment many times.

Let me say that "composing" is also a way to develop a good
improvvisation.
Personally, I find extremely exciting and inspiring to work on a good
idea that came out from an improvisation.
Sometimes, when it happens it's a great time, sometimes it's a pain in
the ass...

Playing songs using live looping technics ? It's possible of course.
But, as Per pointed out, live looping give you a different approach in
making music.
All the tricks and tips mentioned about this topic work well, but if I
can add my 2 cents, I'd say: try to get drastic changes with the less
you can. Think in a minimalistic way, simple patterns you can easily
switch between and freedom of arrangements.

> But some folks are good at composing. How do they manage? I'd say they
> are very good at simulating the inspired "first encounter experience"
> in music. In order to succeed with that you will have to distance
> yourself from the nice feeling of being part of the music as "music
> happens to you" in order to analyse and take notes of exactly what
> happens so you can repeat it and bring over a fragment of that emotion
> to listeners.
>
> Oops... this turned out a bit theoretical - I fully support the
> hands-on hints Kevin just posted as well.

Per, I enjoined reading it.

Fabio
www.eterogeneo.com