re death of a loop

   Scott wrote: about this previous paragraph:

"Mangling -- take the loop and "mangle" it -- slow it down, speed it
up, break it up, process and distort it -- there are many ways to
"mangle" and, ultimately, kill a loop."

"ok, HOW IN THE F*** do you do this w/ a boss rc20?"

Well, this is the rub about all equipment.  The cheaper Boss pedals (and
the digitech
Jamman as well) aren't really oriented towards internally mangling with a
loop.
It doesn't make them bad:  it just isn't what they were designed for.

This is why it's important to consider which looper one purchases (in
hardware or software)
and what kinds of techniques one wants to use before purchasing a product.

Of course,  we all evolve and I have bought loopers in the past and then
realized that I needed
to upgrade to more expensive and more sophisticated loopers.

It is efficacious, however, when one does this to hang on to older less
sophisticated loopers
because re-sampling a loop is a very powerful way to morph a piece of
music (freeing up the original
looper to add new content once the content has been re-sampled and erased).

A fantastically powerful piece of gear that I've fallen in love with is
the
KAOSS PAD 3 which allows one to not only resample an already existing loop
but also to resample
and combine several samples recorded into the machine into a new loop.
The KAOSS PAD 3 allows for 4 different loops and it's powerful X-Y pad of
applying effecst like
delays, modulations, distortions, etc. in real time (all of whose X-Y
movements are recorded as
you record from your first loop to your second loop)

This brings us to the distinction between loopers who are constantly
playing their instruments
as they play and loopers who not only play their instruments but take time
to then
'produce' the material they are playing in real time by ceasing to play
the instrument and
then 'play' the effects of real time resampling,  effects processing,
dynamics etc.

I find that frequently,  I will play for the first 1/3 or so of a piece of
music and then
'produce' using these manipulations through the middle 1/3 of the piece
and then finish
with 1/3 playing a secondary (or primary instrument) again.

I just find that to keep from appearing visually boring, that it's good to
incorporate instruments
and controllers that are more interesting to watch then merely pushing
knobs on a computer or
piece of hardware gear or mixer.    I'd play heavily crafter samples on a
keyboard and my audiences
didn't even react, whereas Gary Regina would use a WX-7 Wind Controller to
trigger similar samples
and people would fall all over him asking about his 'magic' saxaphone.
LOL,  I finally gave in
and bought a WX-5 just for it to look more interesting as a sense of
performance.

Rick Walker