Re: [Fwd: My new music laptop: Dell Studio 1747]

Rainer Straschill wrote:

> with a buffer size of 128 (which corresponds to roughly 3ms latency). A

that's rather optimistic (well, I guess you know that really, but
it's perhaps misleading)

128 samples @ 44.1kHz indeed corresponds to 3mS.
...but that's only part of the story.

Total latency is
A/D conversion + Input Buffer + Output Buffer + D/A conversion.

so double the figure 'cos there's 2 buffers,
and add on more for the converters.

..more like 8mS
( could be much more with some of the higher quality converters)

I certainly concur that a 128 buffer is pretty good tho'.

andy