Re: OT: Recommendations for Microphone and Archtop or Acoustic Guitar

I've used the Neumann KM184s (XY pattern) and they work great - not perfect but very well.  I would also try AKG 451s.  Don't know how the new ones work but should be fine.  On the last Hayley record I fell back in love with my very old AKG 414.  Noisy as a small creek but REALLY beautiful sound.  Sometimes used that with a KM184 and sometimes Neumann TLM 103.  Don't know how the new 414s are.  But tonewise it was really great.

Original Neumann KM 84s are now too expensive and could be kaboshed if bought from Ebay.

I've heard good things about the SA stuff.   They may be made in China??? If so, you might have to pick through them for the best sound.

Of course the BEST path is to go to your local equip shop and buy (or borrow) all of them and then return the ones that don't work for you.  Try the Earthworks mic's too.  I've heard some good stuff done with them and they aren't too expensive.

A record I did with Wavy Gravy won a NAIRD Award way back when!

Rule #1? Have fun!