Re: OT: Recommendations for Microphone and Archtop or Acoustic Guitar

Thank you all for the input.  As usual, it appears that everyone has their
favorite mic that works for them, which makes it hard to make a decision.
am sure most of these mics, in the similar price range, are decent.

I created a table that has many of them, and their specs and prices
compared.

http://www.box.net/shared/do73fgijmx

What I am trying to consider in this context is the jazz archtop guitar.
It
is quite a different animal than the acoustic guitar. For one, it projects
at only about half of the volume of an acoustic, because of the volume in
the body, that it typically only has f-holes, and that it is often strung
with flat wound strings. In that case, it tends to sound thinner than an
acoustic when micing it, which is what you don't want in a jazz guitar. So
really need a mic that can pick up the subltles of the guitar, but
probably
has a good proximity effect when it move the mic closer to the guitar.  Of
course, I'll be blending the tone with the mag pickup through an amp.

What I find disturbing about a lot of the specs above is most don't
mention
a Frequency Response, but try to sneak in a Frequency Range disguised as a
Frequency Reponse. I find this very misleading and dishonest. Any good
engineer knows the difference between the two. You can have an excellent
frequency range, but with a crappy response.  Range means nothing if the
mic
can't consistently reproduce it.

The Josephson mic was recommended by a peer jazz guitarist, but otherwise
know nothing of the mics, except that it is made in the USA.

Any comments on the spec comparisons?

Kris