OT: jazz on tele's etc.

Andreas wrote:
and that small mahagony swampthing suddenly started to put out some serious twang, amazing difference. Too much twang for me, we put the Pigtail one-piece-bridge back on...

 I'm sorry there is no such thing as two much twang :-) seriously My Tele has been the ongoing test subject for pickup research since I had it assembled in 2007, It started with mini humbuckers (the deluxe style with boo boo rings) Then I tried P-90 stacks, then a combo of the minis and P-90's.
Currently I have two full size hum buckers on it and I'm going to switch back to something brighter. I'm having the Duncan custom shop make me a set of these, http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/custom-shop/humbuckers/rod_magnet_33_h/,  which are similar in sound to the wide aperture humbucking pickups designed by Seth Lover (the father of the humbucking pickup) for Fender's 70's era thinline teles, but are brighter and twangier than gibson style humbuckers, even more so with the rod magnets, and I will have then underwound for more treble response. I would agree that elements of guitar construction, hardware and string gauges also contribute to the guitars sonic signature, a tele with humbuckers still has more treble response  than a gibson guitar with similar pickups unless of course you put overwound pickups on it, then every thing turns to muddy shit :-)
 Bill