Re: Visual performance

Hey Florian

Great audio/visual performance !
Visual performance is a good keyword: Do you (anyone from this list) use light or other visuals to emphasise the looping character of your music?

Florian

PS: I am writing this, two hours after a VJ (www.rettnoise.org) asked me that he wants to participate our todays session. And I am quite curious, what he will add to the performance.

 As most of my recent gigs have been extremely low key/cafe type of things.. I havent for a while. But on the whole.. Yess I have .. alot.

I have done both performances where I have been completely in control of the video performance,  where the music has DRIVEN the visuals and where someone else has interpreted visually what I have been playing.

The first is hard to control. In the old days (Mid of late 80īs) my band used Videotape to playback our drum-machine tracks, we then editted the video to that backing track (Including silent versions of the singer-- singing. A huge mouth).. This was EXTREMELY effective, but time consuming to prepare and a pain to alter the set list (had to go to an edit suite to do it!!) ...but we were students and had access.
Modern version of this (which Im investigating) might to be to run Logic (insert Video enabled DAW of your choice, Reaper would do it) To project the video and then use the midi out from Logic to trigger your gear.

Second Scenario, Well then you need to get into VJ/Visual Art software. I used one called ImX (Free from Steim website, but out of development now) Then You can use midi from your performance and the audio from your performance to MAKE a live lightshow. I think it may be better to use a VJ software for this... Im X needed a bit too much "hands-on"

But BY FAR the most convenient method is to sign over your visual look to a video guy... and you know.. I also think that this is the best way too. The more you work together, the more you will talk about the visuals, the more they will become synchronised both in terms of content and with beats. The technology stops being the focal point of YOUR musical performance and you can begin to "jam" with the visuals.

I am currently a band of one (like many on this list) but after a drummer.. I would wish for a visual guy, and I would have them as a permanent member of the band.

As a modular guy, you might like to check out Severd Heads, who were a synth guy and a video synth guy... Did some looping too!

Mark

--
www.markfrancombe.com
www.ordoabkhao.com