RE: OT Create your own Impulse models for freeware Convolution Reverbs

I don't think that would work Per. A short burst of white noise produced at the location of each choir member could though be used as an impulse, (picked up from a mic placed where the listener is presumed to be located). You'd then run the voices through your software to produce that particular reverberation.

> That's an excellent idea! If applied to a choir recording you set up
> the stereo mic recording, push record and ask the members of the choir
> to sing a short note each, taking turns one after the other. Then when
> back in the studio you create convolution impulses for each choir
> member and in the mix you insert the reverb on the each singer's close
> up mic channel and load it with the matching impulse file.
>
> That would a way to sound, maybe not better than a Lexicon hardware
> box, but more natural - as in true to the original sound.
>
> It would be fun to have a bunch of such "multi set convolution
> impulse" files and experiment in "dressing up" different close mic
> recorded ensemble performances (drum kit, choir, brass band or simply
> any instrument track of a mix) by true ambiences form all kind of
> locations. It amazes me that there are so many good libraries of
> single location impulse files but no multi sets for sale on the
> market! I guess that is because the producers that need that detailed
> sound reproduction prefer to roll their own anyway.
>
> A typical case where impulse respons technique is perfect could be if
> you happen to have a cracked guitar speaker that sounds just awesome
> at a specific volume drive. Snag that temporary phase in its
> deterioration process to keep for future productions to be applied to
> any sound source. If you have Logic Studio installed, check under
> "warped" to find these kinds of "speaker" or "analog circuit" impulse
>
> Greetings from Sweden
>
> Per Boysen
> www.boysen.se
> www.perboysen.com
> www.looproom.com internet music hub

Get a new e-mail account with Hotmail - Free. Sign-up now.