Re: OT: New MBP... or not? (Firewire still necessary?)

buzap@gmx.net schrieb:
> Anyway, the question is:
> Is it still essential to have Firewire interface?

The answer has not changed that much: you need the interface that the
hardware you intend to use has.
Anf dor some time, the only alternative to HDSP-based interfaces (read:
RME) was Firewire. This has changed in the meantime, so unless you have
one specific interface you want to use and which uses Firewire - no need
to.

And commenting on a reply by Rick:
"I've also heard rumors that USB 3.0 is going to be mind boggling."

I've heard rumours that Intel, who originally specified it, has very
much moved to an early follower position (at best) there - the reason
being that in the meantime they got the idea to do something that's even
more mind-boggling:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Peak

So no, at least in the near future, we won't need Firewire anymore ;)

--
http://moinlabs.de
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/moinlabs