Re: Rafa's One Man Band - Impact of looping -

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Matt Stevens
<mattstevensguitar@btinternet.com> wrote:
> I think its down to the performer. Squarepusher is just a bloke plus bass
> plus electronics - and hes incredible live.

You've got a strong point with that example, Matt. No band can get
close to the Squarepusher sound, since it is so tied up to the "one
man instrument" formed by the guy, the bass guitar and the
electronics.

I guess I was talking specifically about *good bands* when saying "no
solo live looper can achieve the same thing".

But there are also occasions when no band can sound like a solo live
looper; that's when a musician uses live looping as an instrument.

A related phenomenon, that I personally find just as interesting, is
when a non looping solo performer plays a truly multi tasking capable
instrument like the Piano or, even more so, the Chapman Stick. Two
hands acting "freely improvising duet musicians" but still being
directed from the same brain. There you have a musical performance
functionality that works - and sounds - differently than a two
musician duo and a solo live looper as well as an ensemble.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com