Re: Guitar Compression was :Re: ...reflections...

This is tricky and very situational.   "In general", I prefer to control
my
levels with my playing, vs. a machine making that decision for me.

However, there are some recording applications where it might make sense
use compression, only when I am close micing or recording direct. For
example, these days I have been recording mainly with my artchop and nylon
string, with just a condensor mic on them.  If I start a song with some
very
strong and aggressive percussive style playing (ala Derek Bailey) that
easily redlines the system, and then back down to some quieter playing for
the majority of the song, I then have a situation where I have to reduce
the
recording level for that intro part, and then one small part of the song
is
dominating the dyamic range of the entire song.  Then I have a situation
where the levels of the majority of the song are too low....in which case
have to bring them up anyway during the master processs, with compression.
If someone is doing this for me in real time while I am recoding that is
differnt, though that is sort of manual form of compression or limiting,
eh?
So, you either start using compression during the recording, or you do it
during mastering.  I prefer to have my initial recording data at optimum
levels at the start.

Another point.  I like the sound of my guitar in a natural setting, the
way
it is heard if you were in the audience.  Air and other environmental and
human factors serve as a natural form of compression.  So, in the above
situation, I don't have a problem of an uncontrollable dynamic range.  I
am
not redlining my audience. :)   A compressor I think can actually help
re-produce the sound of your instrument in a natural setting, and I'd say
this is a valid statement only if you are close micing your amp, or
recording direct, both of which are "unnatural" recording situations, in
my
opinion.  I can make the same argument for reverb, if want to make a
recording that sound like a typical natural setting, vs. having a show
inside an AT&T sound proof room that can drive a person insane in 30 min.
:)

Another point -  I have used a compressor not as a leveling device, but as
way to change the attack and feel of of my playing.  If set appropriately,
you can create some interesting sounds.  Some guitarists build this into
their signature sound.

...just my thoughts, without being totally awake this morning!  Again,
this
is all based on my own personal experiences of recording, based on my own
personal tastes and preferences. Someone can prefer a totally different
approach, and that is valid.

Kris