Re: recording methods - what's your approach?

On 9 Jul 2010, at 07:52, looppool@cruzio.com wrote:

Schoenberg is credited as saying that all composition is just very slow
improvisation.

I'm fond of telling my students that improvisation can, conversely, be
thought of
as very rapid composition.

I have not been a composer in 25 years, but I did compose for my early bands (isis, Lizard)
and I do not see much similarity with my kind of improvisation
its certainly not just a difference of speed
when composing, we can try different options, calculate, use rules...
to some extent, this is possible to do in real time to help improvisation
but its only a "fix" from my point of view, and unnecessary when we are inspired

so for me its as different as "think of what I will do" vs "observe what I am doing"

Indeed, when we use sophisticated tools in modern loopers like replace,
syncing, bouncing
slicing, dicing, complex and simple feedback manipulations we are just
experimenting
with form.

This is, of course, not the only way to use looping (Matthias Grob's
beautiful pieces that use
constant use of feedback to morph his loops in a seemless ambient way
comes to mind or Sjaak Overgauw or Fabio Anile's gorgeous approaches to
ambient live looping) but it really appeals
to me.

oh, thank you for mentioning me!
:-)