Re: Drum machine (RZ-1)

I still love the old Casio RZ-1 sampling drum machines. (I have 2 of
them) The "drum" sounds are a bit lackluster IMO, but those four, 1
second sampling pads make up for it.
I have rarely used the "drum" sounds, but have gone to town with the
sample pads. The RZ-1 also has midi in / out / thru and the midi out
function also acts like a sort of "trigger" that automatically plays
some notes on other midi kybds in the chain. You don't have any
control over what those assigned notes will be, and have to work
around that, but it can sometimes result in some interesting
experiments and discoveries.  You can also slave the RZ-1 to an
external sequencer and / or a kybd that has an internal sequencer
and / arpeggiator and those will trigger drums / sample pads
accordingly.  Also, all of the drum sounds and sample pads have their
own separate volume controls and audio out 1/4" jacks which can be
helpful. They also have patterns/ songs internal storage and for
storing those externally, why it is done via a *cassette tape* of
course! :-) And apparently, the circuit bender crowd have picked up
on the RZ-1, as well....

Ye can sometimes find these units for cheap at used gear shops,etc. I
saw one here in Ptld not all that long ago for only $79 and they are
fairly chunky in size and built like a tank.

More:
http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/CASIORZ1/

Cheers,
Rev. Fever