Re: boss loop station announce

About two months ago, just before the Boss contest press release, John
Hernandez the west coast rep for Roland , wrote me and encouraged me
to participate in this contest, saying he thought I had a very good
chance of winning the thing, which was flattering, but I politely
declined letting him know that most of the  methods i use simply could
not be duplicated on a boss looper., and that I'm not really a contest
guy anyway, I just could care less about the competitive nature of the
music biz.  John and Roland donated their time and a clinician to the
Loop Clinic I gave at Y2K8, and were willing to send their best
clinician this year as well, though we aren't going to do a formal
clinic after all. I understand the promotional aspect of the
competition and I find it oddly synchronistic with the latest release
by Digitech of not one but 3 new loopers. A bit of a diversionary
move it seems to me.  I know that boss is poised to release another
looper soon as well though details are sketchy.  I wish that Roland
was not so insular in its design practices, It seems the only pros
they bother to consult are the established name guys like Belew, most
of which aren't doing anything nearly as sophisticated with looping as
many members of this list.  I like Dust bunnies  idea of guerilla
infiltration., though honestly because I like John and in spite of my
views about Roland they do make good quality, and sometimes very
innovative gear,  I personally would feel like I was cheating, unless
there was a boss looper in the chain. But I don't mind calling him and
asking him how much "processing" and by that I mean mangling with non
boss gear could be done prior to loop creation on the boss and still
be within the limits.  Besides from what I've seen, Juana Molina is
gonna be pretty hard to beat the way she works 2 RC-20's....
Bill

PS Nice article in Mix,  Richard... me have gear
envy ............dangerous gear envy...........................are you
doing any  mastering for cyber clients yet?