Re: OT: portable audio recorders

On Sep 5, 2010, at 1:35 PM, andy butler wrote:

> there *is* a limiter setting,
> ...it's *after* the conversion to digital.
>
> I always thought that the H4 was exactly the same
> in that respect.

I use the H4 limiter all the time and find it quite helpful in
controlling the spikes that can occur.

According to the manual:
the H4 incorporates an effect section that can be inserted immediately
after the inputs to process the signal before it is sent to the
recorder tracks for recording.

I don't know about the analog to digital conversion sequence but it
seems strange for the H2 to have a recording level adjustment that
does not do anything to lessen the signal and a limiter that would not
limit distortion because the digital signal has been already
compromised.

regards

BobC