Re: Fighting the temptation to noodle

i am no expert on looping although I've done quite a bit.  But for me, chord changes are the difference between snoring thru a piece and sitting on the edge of your chair - or some grey zone between those two states.  We've all heard both approaches.  I guess it depends on YOUR OWN desire.  Who cares what I or anyone else thinks?

The musicians of India have done fine with no chord changes.  Although they do usually have improv tablas and very stretched scales to hold the interest.

Still, I tend to listen to ragas, though, when I want to dissolve into the Big Empty.  So if that's you're goal, and it's a worthy one, that's fine!

Another consideration is that the sitar and sarod players from India most folks tend to listen to are hard core virtuoso acrobats of the fretboard.

To further confuse things, I have had tremendous luck putting chord changes under vocalists from India who normally sing over a one key tamboura drone.  One particular CD has done very well in the uber independent, way underground world of non artificial spiritual music. That technique has been copied many times over since.

My own take? For me, not being Ravi Shankar or Ali Akbar Khan, good chord changes make it easier to create interest and color.

But the key is YOU and what YOU want to hear.

I don't know Jack

or Jill.

But you do.