Re: Mobius in a rack unit

From: Rainer Straschill <moinsound@googlemail.com>
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Sent: Sun, September 12, 2010 12:04:16 PM
Subject: Re: Mobius in a rack unit
>With a structure like that, there's no need to boot/load the program
>(i.e. it
>would startup right after power is supplied), realtime behaviour would be
>easy
>to guarantee, and the risk of system crashes would be much smaller.
>
>So the idea was to have Möbius in a device which doesn't have all of the
>negative aspects usually associated with computers.
>         Rainer

A couple of months ago I was pondering a turn key system like this for
my floorboard... no doubt there were many concerns.

However since aquiring a really great rack effect unit, I need a
computer to drive the editing software for three of my units.
My thinking was, well I may as well get a light small laptop for that
and fit it in a rack sliding draw.... then thought Ah! And when I'm not
editing (ie when I'm playing) I could use it for looping.
Hence why I've veered in that direction.

Perhaps a dedicated looping unit would be better, but (for me) it's more
money, takes up more space and adds complexity (including a laptop
running editors).  Thinking about it there's nothing stopping me getting
the laptop and using it for everything.  If it becomes too much of a
headache and I run into problems, then I'll consider something similar
to what you describe.
-- G.