Re: making money off your music

I count myself as real lucky. I spent 10 years making music for a
living before dusting off my plumbers licence and going back to a day
job. Now I'm able to support myself and able to play what I want and
when I want to.... well, most of the time... I mean when I was doing
music for a living I took any gig that came my way because I needed
the money. If they said we don't want you to do any original music,
well I didn't. Now, somebody says that to me I can tell them that
they should contact some other musician. So I'd say that I'm quite
content to be able to work on music that I find interesting,
recordings that I give away and/or put out on the internet and any
other variety of music related projects that catch my interest.

Around here, or maybe it's just the circle of friends that I have,
I've seen a growing trend towards people wanting to play music with
other folks, Sort of going back to the idea of community and people
creating their own entertainment. One friend and I are talking about
starting a monthly or bimonthly song circle that could sometimes
bring in a guest performer for a house concert.

I'd say that I feel a sort of optimism about the future of music as
an art form and as a creative expression for myself and others. But,
I don't really see things getting any easier for people to be able to
make a living as a performer. I do think you can have a reasonable
success if you don't mind being a total gypsy and doing lots of house
concerts and other small gigs, and then getting the occasional
festival spot, or if you can tie into some niche market and be THE go
to person for whatever that is.

What I don't feel optimistic about is what I see coming out in the
commercial world from all the "you can be a star" shows. If we were
to let the corporate world set the standards for us could you ever
imagine a Bob Dylan or Tom Waits coming out of one of those shows? I
guess this whole phenomena is the natural result of Karaoke.

Oh well,

Long live ART! and Creativity.

Paul Haslem
www.dulcify.ca