Re: Fripp and Eno

Indeed, infact that technique that Eno introduced to Fripp, and he blithely called Frippertronics, was infact the same technique that Terry Riley used on DAMN.. forgotten... rainbow... curved air... something like that... and he called it the "Time Lag Accumulator" . Which I think is a MUCH better term for it!!!

So if you want to write about the history of Time Lag Accumulating, you need to look further that Fripp. Stockhausen is known to have used the technique (and disliked it I believe, for the same reasons that Eno LIKED it...) and the BBC´s radiophonic workshop were also big on tape loop and feedback experiments, although I havent heard anything with LONG ENOUGH looping to be called looping... if such a time exists... when does delay become looping exactly?

I think its a very interesting history, but either you define your parameters, like is sampling looping? so when does looping stop being looping and become sampling? If you stop the loop.. and then start it again? OR (which is the only real answer.. but a HUGE subject) is to include all forms of looping, DJ, Live looping, Sampling, delay, and basically any repetitive recorded music...

One could start with a history of artificial delay, Elvis perhaps? Buddy Holly?

Mark